Aiken Hounds Drag Hunt
Recognized by the MFHA since 1916
The Aiken Hounds were established in 1914 by Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Hitchcock of Long Island and recognized by the MFHA in 1916. The Hitchcocks bought approximately 3000 acres of woodland and open fields, which they intersected with miles and miles of drag lines. The fences in those days were between 4 – 5 feet in height – solid rails with brush on either side so that they could be jumped in either direction.
Before the lines of fences were built, Mrs. Hitchcock hunted a pack of beagles in the Woods, hence our green livery. Once the fences were erected, Mr. Hitchcock enjoyed schooling his steeplechasers around the Woods, and it was about that time that Mrs. Hitchcock conceived the idea of running a drag adjacent to the fences. The Old Aiken Drag, as it was called then, was conducted at considerable speed over those large fences that could be jumped by as many as eight abreast.
Dedicated to Education and Accessibility for generations to come
Aiken Hounds is a hunt club and ,more importantly, a community hard at work educating future generations about the history of foxhunting, and the incredible tradition of working hounds out across the land. And because we are looking to continue this tradition well into the future we offer FREE capping for juniors (under 25) to make hunting more accessible!